The Senior Indirect Tax Accountant plays a crucial role in ensuring compliance with state and local indirect tax laws. This role primarily focuses on controversy, compliance, tax accounting, and also contributes to tax research and special projects related to Indirect Tax. The Senior Indirect Tax Accountant is responsible for a range of taxes, including Sales and Use Tax, Real and Personal Property Tax, Canadian VAT Tax, Gross Receipts, and Jurisdictional Business Taxes.
This role is located in North Dallas, however it is a hybrid role. 3 days in the office a week.
- Assist in the timely preparation and review of sales and use tax returns, VAT, sales tax registrations, property tax assessments, business licenses, and gross receipt reports.
- Support indirect tax audits by gathering and reviewing requested information, helping defend the Company's tax positions, and preparing responses to taxing authorities.
- Prepare and review reconciliations of indirect tax financial statement accounts and assist with tax accounting as needed.
- Contribute to the implementation of special indirect tax projects, involving internal research and analysis on various indirect tax issues.
- Collaborate effectively with external indirect tax service providers and auditors.
- Work closely with internal departments such as accounting, IT, and legal to ensure a unified approach to indirect tax matters.
- Assist in developing and implementing indirect tax processes and procedures.
- Contribute to the creation of training materials for key functions within the business.
- Review and optimize ERP processes and data extraction reports for indirect tax purposes.
- Review tax assessments and, when appropriate, assist in challenging and protesting these assessments.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- Certified Member of the Institute (CMI) or Master's degree in Taxation is preferred.
Types of Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in corporate tax or a combination of corporate tax and experience in a top CPA firm with international tax exposure.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Public Accounting experience, preferably with a Big 4 firm.
- Proficient knowledge of indirect taxes.
- Familiarity with day-to-day compliance requirements.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines by prioritizing work effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build positive relationships with employees, business stakeholders, and service providers.
- Competency in computer skills, including Microsoft Excel and tax-related software.